Hesperian Health Guides
Every day 20,000 people visit the HealthWiki for lifesaving health information. A gift of just $5 helps make this possible!
Make a gift to support this essential health information people depend on.
There is no reason based on age alone that a woman cannot enjoy sex for as long as she lives.
More Informationsexual pleasure
For some women, menopause means freedom from the sexual demands of marriage. Other women become more interested in sex because they no longer fear an unwanted pregnancy. All women, though, continue to need love and affection.
As a woman grows older, some of the changes in her body may affect her sexual relations:
- She may take longer to become excited during sex (this also happens to men).
- Her vagina may be more dry, which can make sex uncomfortable, or make her get an infection of the vagina or the urine system more easily. This may also increase her risk of HIV infection.
What to do:
Do not use petroleum gel or oils that contain perfumes to increase wetness in the vagina. These can cause irritation.
More Informationdry sex
- Try to take more time before having sex, so your vagina can make its natural wetness. You can also use spit (saliva), oils made from vegetables (corn oil, olive oil), or other lubricants like K-Y jelly during sex.
- If it is difficult for your partner to get his penis hard (erection), be patient. Touching him may help.
- Do not try to make the vagina dry before having sex. To prevent urine problems, pass urine as soon as possible after sex to flush out germs.