Hesperian Health Guides
How to Feel Better
In this chapter:
To cure yourself of an STI, you must take the medicine described in this chapter. To get relief from the discomfort of an STI:
- If you have sores or itching of the genitals, sit in a pan of clean, warm water for 15 minutes, 2 times a day. Do this until you feel better. If you have a yeast infection, you can add lemon juice, vinegar, yogurt (without sugar), or sour (fermented) milk to the pan of warm water.
- Do not have sex again until you feel better.
- Try to wear underclothes made of cotton. This lets air in around your genitals which will help you heal.
- Wash your underclothes once a day and dry them in the sun. This kills the germs that cause infection.
- Take a mild pain medicine.
- If you have genital ulcers and it is painful to pass urine, pour clean water over your genital area while you urinate. Or sit in a pan of cool water while you urinate.