Hesperian Health Guides
Children and Pesticide Poisoning
Every day 20,000 people visit the HealthWiki for lifesaving health information. A gift of just $5 helps make this possible!
Make a gift to support this essential health information people depend on.
Pesticides are more dangerous to children than they are to adults. Because children are smaller and are still growing, they get sick from amounts of pesticides that may not hurt adults. Amounts of pesticides that will make adults sick may kill babies and children.
Signs of pesticide poisoning in children
Even small doses of pesticides can affect a child’s ability to learn and grow, and may cause allergies and breathing problems that last his whole life.
Common signs of pesticide poisoning in children are:
Signs that may show up months or years after a child is exposed to chemicals include: