Hesperian Health Guides
The Healthwiki provides free information to 20,000 people every day.
This is made possible by donors like you!
Make a gift to support this essential health information people depend on.
In this chapter:
You can prevent the spread of HIV in these ways:
- If possible, have sex with only one partner who has sex only with you.
- Practice safer sex — sex that prevents semen, blood and vaginal fluids from getting into your vagina, anus, or mouth. Use condoms correctly whenever you have sex.
- Get tested for HIV and treated for STIs, and make sure your partners do too.
- Avoid piercing or cutting the skin with needles or other tools that have not been disinfected between uses.
- Avoid blood transfusions except in emergencies.
- Do not share razors.
- Do not touch someone else’s blood or wound without protection (see Preventing infections in the home).
Preventing HIV is not Always Easy
To prevent HIV do not sell or trade sex.
But I cannot feed my children or send them to school unless I do.
To prevent HIV, use condoms every time you have sex.
But I cannot get my husband to use a condom.
To prevent HIV, have sex only with one faithful partner.
I do have sex with only my husband, but I know he has other women.
This page was updated:11 Sep 2017