Hesperian Health Guides
Health Problems Caused by Female Genital Cutting
Every day 20,000 people visit the HealthWiki for lifesaving health information. Ifwe could translate 50 more chapters.
Make a gift to support this essential health information people depend on.
These problems may happen right away, or in the first week:
- heavy bleeding
- shock from severe pain, bleeding, or infection
- problems with passing urine
All these problems are extremely dangerous. Get help right away.
These problems may happen later, and can last for many years:
- problems with monthly bleeding
- problems with sex
- problems during and after childbirth
- leaking urine and stool
- being unable to get pregnant (infertility)
- lasting pain
- mental health problems
- the illnesses that come from HIV infection